Palm Oil and its derivatives
Refining techniques including fractionation, bleaching, interesterification (chemical or enzymatic) and hydrogenation allows Palm oil & Palm kernel oil to derive a large range of palm oil derivatives, palm specialty fats & oleochemicals. Apart from this much demand for special cuts such as high-iodine value, super and top oleins, palm red fractions (high carotene and tocopherol/tocotrienol contents) or solvent-free cocoa butter equivalents (palm mid fractions) are certainly what the future has in store. These Palm fractions have established a wide role in industries such as Food, Cosmetics, Soap, Detergents, Surfactants, Energy & Textiles.
How is Palm Oil & Palm Kernel Oil different?
Palm oil is the fat that is squeezed out of the fibrousmesocarp of fruit called Oil Palm scientifically known as Elaeisguineensis. It is rich in vitamin E. To find palm oil with red coloring is good, as the coloring comes from the antioxidant beta-carotene. Thanks to the vitaminE and lower saturated fat content, palm oil is definitely the best of bunch of oils.
Palm kernel oil: As the name suggests, it is derived from the kernel or seed of the fruit in oil palms. It contains more saturated fats than palm oil and is very commonly used in commercial cooking since the higher saturated fat content allows for greater stability at higher temperatures and better shelf life.
Both of these oils, which are mainly made up of triglycerides, are chemically and physically different from each other with palm oil high in palmitic acid (C16 fatty acid) and palm kernel oil high in lauric and myristic acids (C12 and C14 fatty acids respectively)
Some widely used Palm Oil derivatives that have found a niche in the industry are such as-
- Soap & Detergent Industry has wide base of raw materials in palm oil fractions such as Stearic acid, Lauric acid, Sodium Palmitate, Palm Kernel Olein.
- The Surfactant Industry manufactures its products mainly by using Lauric acid, Myristic acid, Palm Kernel Oil, Palmitic acid, among others.
- The biodiesel industry had created a boom using Palm oil & Palm fatty acid distillate as its raw materials.
- One of the major beneficiaries of Palm oil derivatives & palm specialty fats is the Food Industry. Palm stearin & Palm Olein Oil have major demand in food industry as well.
- Glycerine is a widely used raw material is Pharma& Cosmetics industry.
There are various other industrial applications that use other Palm oil fractions & Palm kernel oil fractions such as Palm kernel diethanolamide, Palm kernel expeller, Palm kernel Monoethanolamide & Oleic acid, Super olein, Palm mid fraction etc. Tradeasia International is one of the leading trading companies to deal in Palm oil derivatives & its specialty fats.